Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Little Sunday Philosophy

Sundays always make me philosophical. I know most of the words the priest says in the Mass by heart, so my mind sometimes tends to wander. It always wanders to the same place first. I think about the children and when I have the Eucharist in my mouth (which I never chew), the children's safety and happiness are always the first things I pray for. The second prayer is that my reunion with them will not be too much longer in coming. More on that as time goes on.
After I am done reflecting on my longing for them, indulging in my own sadness, I look around at the faces of the people in the Church. I very often detect sadness in their faces too. I want to walk over to some of them and ask what is wrong. What is the source of their sadness? Sometimes, when indulging my own selfish sadness, I allow myself to think that no one could possibly be as sad as I am. Then, when I see the sadness radiating off the faces around me, one the one hand, I feel worse because I can't help them. On the other hand, I feel a little better, because I get a clear reminder that I am not the only person with sadness in my life. Joy is wonderful, but joy is fleeting. Sadness has more stamina.
However, today it was the readings from Scripture that really set my philosophical muse in motion. I think it's wonderful that Catholics, wherever they gather, get to hear the same Scripture. It's a sort of "super-communal" shared experience. But it still allows for individual interpretation. Listen to these two passages that were read today. The first is from the prophet Ezekiel, Chapter 33, Verses 8&9.
"When I say unto the wicked, O wicked one, thou shalt surely die, if thou does not speak to warn the wicked from his way, the wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at thine hand. Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it, if he does not turn from his way he shall die in his iniquity, but thou hast delivered thy soul."
The second passage is from St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans, Chapter 13, Verses 8,9 & 10:
"Owe no man anything, but to love one another, for he that loveth one another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbor, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
I'm sure the first passage could be cited by evangelicals as a raison d'etre. But combined with the other passage and the sadness I saw on faces today, I came away with a completely different feeling.
Here is God, granting us free will, but holding all of us accountable. As I have said before, I don't feel it is anyone's right to try to tell someone else how to live other than providing them with guidelines, which is accomplished nicely by the laws of God and man.
What is our responsibility is to try to bring as much joy into this world as possible. Sadness is an extremely powerful force and joy often wilts at the sight of it. If you work to bring joy into this world and it does not inspire others to do the same, than they are the wicked of whom Ezekiel speaks. And no, making a lot of money does not automatically mean that you bring a great amount of joy into the world. The joy that money produces is often fallacious.
If bringing joy into the world is your highest priority, then you are automatically in agreement with both of these passages. The only reason to work to bring joy into the world is love of others, because the sadness that is so evident is such a deteriorating force that must be fought. To create joy is to fight the wickedness that brings sadness. The fruits of your labor can then be held up as an example to the purveyors of evil and sadness, thus preserving the sanctity of those labors and your soul as well.
To interpret the first passage as an evangelical would is to assume a vindictive God; an all powerful force that is constantly on the watch for transgressions, a being that would rather condemn than forgive. I don't see it that way at all. As the priest who gave the sermon in my church today said, Jesus Christ never gives up on someone. Jesus welcomed tax collectors and Gentiles to his table, because instead of automatic condemnation, he gave them the chance for redemption. Jesus showed them what a little faith, honesty and altruism could do. So as long as we work to bring joy into the world, despite our past transgressions, we always have a shot at final redemption. This is my preferred perception of the Almighty, and I can rest well at night knowing that bringing joy into the world, through increased knowledge and open discussion, is my own raison d'etre. When I can bring that kind of joy to my children once again, I will know that God has seen fit to smile on my efforts.

1 comment:

orfeenix said...

i think you can't find a worst failure than being separated to your children,i just can offer you my sympathy.